In Brief

Test purchase penalties

The owner of an off-licence in Stratford, east London, has been fined £750, with £1,200 costs, and had his licence suspended for four months

after being caught in a test purchase operation. Cagdas Geneci, licensee of Grape Wine, failed to attend Stratford Magistrates Court on several occasions and was found guilty in his absence of selling alcohol to an under-age customer. In a further test purchase conviction by Newham Council, Nathalie Enolla, of O'Abade Food & Wine in East Ham, was fined £150 plus £662.50 costs, after selling alcohol to a 15-year-old.

Licences revoked

Doncaster Council's licensing committee has

revoked the licences of two


after they were caught repeatedly selling alcohol to under-18s. Quix Off-licence and Paul's Place in Mexborough both had their licences taken away following the results of the Home Office's Tackling Under Age Sales

of Alcohol campaign. Four other shops in the area - Bargain Booze, Clarke's Off-licence, Londis and Rhythm & Booze - had their licences suspended for periods ranging between seven and 90 days.

Robber waved machete

A man has been arrested on suspicion of robbery following a raid on a Threshers in Uppingham, Leicestershire. Staff at the store were asked to hand over cash from the till by a man waving a machete-style knife in the raid on Sept 3, but he took the till with him when it would not open. Police arrested a 29-year-old man from Corby after witnesses called them

in response to CCTV footage they had released, but have yet to charge anyone.

Staff foil armed raiders

Two balaclava clad robbers left an off-licence in Wallsend, North Tyneside, empty-handed after staff scuppered their plans. The pair went into Booze Buster at 9.45pm on Sept 13, armed with a gun, and demanded the till be opened, but staff escaped to the back of the shop and raised the alarm.

Assistant threatened

Two men robbing an off-licence in Newry, Northern Ireland, attacked the shop assistant before putting a rope around his neck. The pair then grabbed a plastic bag full of cash from his hand before leaving the shop and driving off in a blue Peugeot 206. The incident, which took place on Sept 7 at 3pm, is being investigated by the police.

Man admits drunkenness

A 19-year-old Burnley man has been fined £100, with £50 costs and a £25 victim surcharge after being refused service at an off-licence because he was drunk. Ryan Taylor, of Russell Terrace in Padiham, was arrested for shouting and swearing outside the shop in Clitheroe Road in the town. He pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly. "I was drunk and one thing led to another," he told Burnley Magistrates Court.