Brewdog releases first of its Overworks wild and sour beers
Brewdog has unleashed its first batch of wild and sour beers from its Overworks fermentation facility.
The independent Scottish craft brewer has officially released the first batches of these beers, which were created in the standalone sour beer facility that it launched in April last year.
The first ten beers represent months of hard work by the brewing team, who have been busy experimenting with the brewing process and flavour combinations, according to Brewdog.
The ten Overworks beers are:
- Funk V Punk, a 5.5% abv India Pale Ale fermented with Brettanomyces aged in foeders
- Cosmic Crush Tropical, a 5.6% abv Scottish sour ale fermented with mango, pineapple, guava, papaya and aged in wine barrels
- Cosmic Crush Cherry (6.3% abv), a Scottish sour ale fermented with cherries aged in red wine barrels
- Cosmic Crush Quince (5.6% abv) a Scottish sour ale fermented with quince aged in foeders
- Cosmic Crush Raspberry (5.8% abv) – a Scottish sour ale fermented with raspberries aged in red wine barrels
- Panavision Pink (5.5% abv) – Scottish sour ale fermented with rosehips and roses aged in foeders
- Gooseberry Fool (6% abv) – Scottish sour ale fermented with gooseberry and elderberry aged in foeders
- Bedrock Red (6% abv) – Scottish sour ale fermented with redcurrants and lemon verbena
- Aplomb Bomb (6% abv) – Scottish sour ale fermented with plum and vanilla aged in foeders
- Electric Blue (7.2% abv) – Scottish sour ale fermented with blueberries and lavender aged in foeders
Richard Kilcullen, Brewmaster at Brewdog Overworks commented: “Since launching this ambitious project, we’ve been working tirelessly to take the traditional sour beer to exciting new heights, with bold, brave flavour combinations that must be tasted to be believed.
"Brewdog has always pushed the boundaries of what beer can be, and this first batch of sour beers epitomises that ambition. We’re obsessed with big flavours that will challenge people’s palates and conceptions. We couldn’t be more excited to release these incredible beers and can’t wait to open up our world of sour beer to more people than ever before.”
“The future of Overworks is wildly exciting, with so much creative potential for us. We can’t wait to release more amazing beers, work with other awesome brewers and to continue to welcome more new beer fans into the bold world of sours. This first batch of ten is just the start in a long journey welcoming thousands more new beer fans into the Brewdog fold.”
All ten beers will be available online or from a select number of independent bottle shops and bars across the UK from February 16.
Overworks will continue to release more beers throughout the year including a number of exclusive collaborations with breweries such as Deya, The Bruery and Speciation, as well as creating small-batch cocktail-inspired sours and spontaneous fermentation releases later in 2019.